This is Lavell Mikesell Lythgoe the second child of Samuel and Virginia Mikesell. This is my life on the flat, upper Porterville, or Poverty Flat or Hardscrabble or whatever it is or was called.
I remember going with daddy and mom up to clean the trees so they could build a house. They bought a grainery from someone. It was log and made a two room home for us.
I helped my dad clean a lot of land so that he could farm.
My younger brother Wendell and I were born in lower Porterville. After we moved to the flat Gerald, Carlene, Scott and Peggy were born in this home.
Many good times were had. I remember every 4th of July mom and dad, Uncle Joe and Aunt Martha, Uncle Jody and Aunt Pearl and all the families would go up the canyon and stay. I remember that Betsy had a sunburn on her back. Bonita, Betsy and I would sleep on a wagon box. Since Betsy's back was so burnt - every time on of us would turn over her back would get hit. We never got a lot of sleep but we always had a good time. We never spent a lot of money. The baseball games were the best. We played lots of other games and always had lots of fun.
To help get money for school I would pick up potatoes for Aaron Creechley. I remember living down at Aunt Ruth's home (Roy Mortenson later lived there). We slept upstairs and thought we heard footsteps on the stairs.
I remember when I was in the second or third grade at school my dad would take all of us on the flat down to school in lover Porterville. in a wagon or sled with horses. Earl and some of the boys acted up and my dad told them to quit or they would have to walk. Earl got out and walked the rest of the way to school. He would cut through the fields and when we got to school Earl would be waiting there for us. Earl was smiling at all of us and said thanks to my dad. I think dad was a little bit mad but said that it was good for you son. Earl would then help all the girls out of the wagon or sled and then thank my dad again.
Signing off for today - hope you are enjoying this.

No comments:
Post a Comment